PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL Flight Planning Tricks, Short Cuts etc
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 05:00
Aeroo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I know, I'm dredging up the thread again! Sat the exam for the first time earlier this week, so I wanted to say thanks for the advice given to me, and also hand out some.

My exam had 17 questions: 2 one-markers, 1 four-marker, 3 five-markers, and the rest were 2 & 3 markers (can't remember how many of each, sorry!). When I did practice exams, for the first one I went through the harder questions first, then did the rest, but for other practice exams I just went through all the questions in order, and I found I liked that way better, so that's how I handled the actual exam. Guess it depends on personal preference! I spent a bit of time memorising the distances between the usual suspects (eg Bris - Mel 764nm), and would you believe it - none of them came up!

One thing that I will warn you about: the missing distances that would normally be found on TAC charts and provided to the exam sitter, were also sometimes missing off the exam question (eg. Melbourne to Canty). Happening once I would understand, but three times I thought was a bit slack! I just used my trusty dividers to guesstimate the distances, and luckily it seemed to have worked out, as I ended up over-excelling by 30%.

Good luck to anyone else sitting!