PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cargolux details requested!
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2010, 02:27
xavierb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny to see that the same old guys (Commited 2 stay, From dusk II dawn) spending so much time on this website, year after year. That tells you how much time they spend in hotels, getting bored!!

Some of the guys here just want to pretend they have the best job on earth. Good for them if they believe it. I left CV 3 years ago, and don't get me wrong, it's not a bad job. If it wasn't the rosters, wich sometimes change daily.. But it's not THE job!!!
Off days: flightwatch tells te true: Fix Off days are a block of 6+ 1 rest every 4 weeks. Not 10 or 11. You indeed get another 4 days Off within the 28 days period, but not fix, can be moved any time.
Salary: When cosmicray says"being off duty for 180 days a year for a (net) FO salary higher than most captains in Europe", that's B.S. Most Cpt salaries in Europe are around 6000 or 7000 €. And a CV F/O, after the first year, can expect 4000.
F/O salary 5000? Not exactly.You don't start at 5000. It would take quite many years to reach that . You start as Jr F/O, with 3600€. After 4 years, I was making (3 years ago, basic now a bit higher, but no bonus..) 4400 + the 13th month+ the bonus, if any. The total was then 5100, after Lux taxes, a year with a good bonus. But that's all included. You also get good and almost free healtcare, education, pension,and child allowances on top.
Still a very decent package, IMHO, but not as good as some guys here say...
Money wise, roster wise, days off wise, you can find better. I did. Same a/c for an asian carrier.
Do I miss CV?
- I miss some destinations: excellent network
- I miss the fact you can take your family with you, for free.
- Of course, I miss some very nice chaps flying there (Hi guys!!)

But I don't miss the soooo many roster changes, the soooo many times I was totally exhausted, the heavy conflict btwn management and pilots, the 10-12 years time for upgrade, the 4 consecutive Xmas away from home (strictly seniority), ... fed up!

So, IMHO, CV is still a good option for those who want to visit the planet and fly the big whale, with a decent income, especially if you are single/ no kids. In that case, you'll like the job, at least for some times.

But you should know there is a life after cv: my quality of life is now much better, the only long lay-overs I have now are at home, more days at home, more money,.....

See you chaps!

X