PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ash clouds threaten air traffic
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2010, 20:11
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
The number of pompous punters here who are outraged that airspace was closed at all because the problem doesn't really exist is irritating.

The number who wonder why "tests" weren't done immediately is frightening.

The number who believe that the Government vacillated over decision making after tests and consultation is mind boggling.

Let me make a number of things quite clear.

1. The problem is real. Yes, I know volcanoes erupt all over the world. I know that there are sand storms in the Desert and dust in the air. I know intrepid pilots fly around erupting volcanoes. I know that some European airports remained open. The problem however is that this particular dust from this particular volcano thanks to this particular weather system stuck itself in large quantities over Britain, and it has the capacity to bugger up very expensive jet engines that are not quickly replaceable by the manufacturers. I know you paid your Twenty quid to get to Paris, but I am not going to risk wrecking Ten million dollars worth of engines to get you there today.

2. Tests were done immediately. Do you think the Government keeps a jet already wired up and on standby to test for volcanic ash? Is there a submarine kept ready and waiting to check the ocean floor for undersea earthquakes? Of course not. Tests were carried out. Did you know it takes time to design a test? It also takes time to prepare for a test and then analyse the results.

3. Vacillating Government? Tests had to be done. Manufacturers had to be consulted. The results of the tests had to be analysed. There are also regulatory frameworks that must be followed because they have the force of law. This takes time. Do you expect the Government to take a billion dollar bet without proper advice, just so that you can get your sorry backside to Amsterdam to smoke dope? I happen to think that Five days from whoa to go is a pretty snappy response where a technically, scientifically and operationally complex decision has had to be made.

Furthermore, next time the airspace is closed again because of this or other eruptions, you will have no further grounds whatsoever to complain.

Thank you to the person who posted the high resolution images of the F404 nozzle guide vanes and first stage blade. I have to take issue with your view that there was "no damage'. To make that statement would require the sectioning of at least one each of those hollow components to see what has been deposited internally, as it is internal build up that will have the most effect on blade and vane cooling.