PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ash clouds threaten air traffic
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2010, 15:38
silverstrata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steamchick:
Unfortunately, it just seems that there is a sort of subculture of (usually) right-wing people in the UK who are obsessed with the idea that the Met Office is plotting against them. This thread has now reached the point where the same people who were yelling that Gordon Brown was at fault for closing the airspace and it wasn't really a problem - no link or citation has yet been produced to support the idea that it was Brown's decision rather than CAA, NATS, or VAAC - are now yelling that Brown should really intervene and have it reopened rather than "hiding behind NATS".

No, there is a body of normal, rational people of many political persuasions who want to know who made the decision to close all airspace. It is a reasonable question to ask. And in the absence of any hands going up, it is natural to go to the top and ask what role the government played in all this.

And even if the government was not directly involved, they have still instituted and encouraged the recent social atmosphere where no risk-taking is allowed - which precipitated the closure of airspace in the first place. Had this been the 1950s (even with jets, satellites and computers etc,), we would have carried on flying, as you well know.

And BTW, I have flown for two days across all Europe, and not seen a speck of vitrious deposits on my turbines. Ergo, at whatever concentrations we have now, everything is fine. Are you listening, CAA, NATS, Eurocontrol and governments??

Oh, and as an aside, why were all those who were against the closure of airspace deleted from this site? Especially as we turned out to be correct, and the closure was excessive. If that is not political/judgmental, I don't know what is.