PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ash clouds threaten air traffic
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2010, 14:57
rab-k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BoughtTheFarm

Whatever the context and final outcome, good job to the crews who brought their birds in. Not everyone may agree that BA is still the 'worlds favourite airline' but I for one would say that they are the 'worlds most determined airline'. We sometimes need people to take tough decisions, and I for one prefer a world with them than without.
A "tough decision" would have been to accept full responsibility for safe conduct of flights through contaminated airspace whatever the outcome. BA could've been flying all week long had WW simply said that he and his board of directors would do so, irrespective of CAA/Met Office advice. Guess what, they didn't.

Instead, they sat wringing their hands looking for someone else to make the decision and when that didn't come quick enough they turned up the heat on, in this case, our 'unelected' politicians.

Nothing brave about wanting to carry on doing something whilst at the same time looking to apportion blame elsewhere in the event of an incident.

If it turns out it is one of his 747s with a double IFSD I'll look forward to hearing his take on the supposed over reaction on the part of the CAA.