PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ash clouds threaten air traffic
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2010, 13:35
BoughtTheFarm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I counted them all out

Whilst there will be diverse opinions about the events of last night, the fact remains that BA had a number of Speedbirds inbound to LHR and LGW and whatever was going on in COBRA, with some still in holds long after they could have diverted a decision was made to act. Note - DECISION. Whilst it's easy from the armchair to "fly the plan" sometimes someone needs to step up and take a tough decision.

If WW did indeed bring pressure to bear to get UK FIR's open then I stand by him. After some days of little clear directive other than what some could describe as health and safety syndrome, the fact is that UK airspace cannot be closed for business indefintely without someone or body standing up to be counted. If WW did that then good on him.

Safety first yes. But, it takes more courage to stand up and make the call than be part of a group erring on caution no matter what.

BA got the planes in. The skies are open and I hope lessons are learned from this so that mother nature cannot be the only one deciding on how we go about our lives.

Whatever the context and final outcome, good job to the crews who brought their birds in. Not everyone may agree that BA is still the 'worlds favourite airline' but I for one would say that they are the 'worlds most determined airline'. We sometimes need people to take tough decisions, and I for one prefer a world with them than without.