PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - P2F Cancer of Aviation (merged)/ petitions.
Old 21st Apr 2010, 13:23
Pilot Positive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TheOtherGuy

If it is about protecting terms and conditions, be honest and say so, don't hide behind safety because all that does is make people immune to cries about safety and real safety issues get ignored. Someone help me understand, please
Perhaps I can offer an attempt at being objective and a bigger picture perspective? For me, its about the overall general direction of the industry that is concerning. The 2 changing factors being safety and T&Cs.

The safety issue is and should be the top concern from a broader industry perspective. Encouragingly, NSF has outlined steps to support P2F within his company, perhaps not to the level others have done currently or historically, but it has moved in a positive direction to ensure safety is a core element addressed. The P2F issue for safety is that it is a dangerouns precedent to set....not all companies are as experienced or as well resourced to follow NSF's example and some operators will use this to justify P2F within their own cultures. See Varisty Express as an example.

Terms & Conditions are important and do need to be addressed. There was, is and always will be a conflict between employer and employee interests and when interests fundamentally go against the employee then one would hope that either economics or a union/3rd party will help to redress the balance. However, there is a recession on in the UK and operators will do what they can to ensure commercial survival...which may be the inclusion of P2F within their culture. The impact of that on T&Cs for the rest of us has been seen throughout this thread.

I appreciate and undertand the need for companies to make money and as pilots we attempt to support that in whatever capacity we can whilst executing our duties. However there is a need for balance. The need for the company to make money whilst adequately rewarding those for work done and without an insidous change to its top priority i.e. safety. Its a very difficult balance to strike at this time and P2F offers the industry a solution to the problem of making money but potentially affects the issue of safety in the longer term.