PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training at West Palm Beach: Ocean Helicopters /Cloud 9
Old 20th Apr 2010, 21:53
sallue10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I dont know if you have made your mind up by this time, but I assume you have. Do you have any thoughts towards the school you went with? I am currently in your shoes. I have had the opportunity to sit down and speak with Pam Landis at Ocean Helicopters and found the company to be very welcoming and professional.
Last year I also had the opportunity to experience a trial flight with Cloud 9 (CFI Mike=Great guy). Unfortunately Geoff is usually with someone when I pop in, so I have not been able to sit down and speak with him making it difficult for me to dramatically compare.
However, the biggest difference I have seen in visiting both schools is that Ocean is very laid back and relaxed, where as Cloud 9 seems to be more business focused. (Less of a "Hi how are you" atmosphere).

I am inferring this as somebody who has just walked in without an appointment, and randomly asked questions, which I'm sure isnt a frequent occurance for them. (If you have ever been to f45, it's slightly off the beaten path and not a place where you would typically be driving by to just stop in).
There are 2 other Heli Flight schools at Lantana (KLNA), but I prefer not to have to drive that far everyday unless necessary. I plan on attending Ocean Helicopters "Learn To Fly Day" on May 15th and will be somewhat closer to deciding on a school then. Neither school has been able to give a concrete answer reguarding hiring post completion of CFI, which can be discouraging, but this is just simply a risk you may have to take to accomplish your dream. There's a risk for every career and they never promised it would come easy. Overall I think Pam was able to sum it up for me best she said, "All three schools (Palm Beach Helicopters, Ocean, and Cloud 9) are all 141. We all fly the R22. it just comes down to wherever you feel the most comfortable personality wise" For me, I think its going to come down to the most likely prospect of a job after completion.
Those are my thoughts and if anybody can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Eric