PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Icelandic Ash Cloud
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2010, 21:36
advocatusDIABOLI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, I Can't constrain myself any longer. (Ref- Island Volcanoes)

I think this is, and will be reported in History, as 'Risk Aversion' gone Mad!

We, in the aviation field, have quite rightly striven for better safety, but there might come a point, where 'x' meets 'y' and there is no possible progress in 'that' direction?

In that statement, I mean, that different possible means to advance or maintain safety should be explored, and more importantly, the general public assumption that flying can be 100% safe should be activley squashed!

That premis, should also be taken to the military (UK), as In my view, way too much time is dedicated to proving why we can't do things (RTS's) and little effort is put into why or what we CAN do.

Most Aviation Safety effort is purely negative; If It doesn't happen, it's no risk, The Ultimately safe Air Force Doesn't Fly.

Personaly, I think a much more pragmatic and engaged approach is required:

Make RTS's what they were intended to be- Pilots documents, for proper guidance and easily read.

Produce, an aircraft 'Legal Use Document' if required, separately, but not at Sqn Level.

FRC / FCCs- Guidance, NOT law, but accurate, and up to date.

Acceptance of all liabilities and risks falling through the above, openly accepted by HMG.

Allow full and free flight through any kind of 'Monster Thunderstorm', but Close the whole UKADR when there is a whiff of pumiss........ Geeeeezzzz

Advo

PS- Don't PM, I'm too bored of the Election to respond. Sorry.