PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Volcanic ash cloud and Private / VFR flying (merged)
Old 20th Apr 2010, 16:37
drambuster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any reason for going via Perpignan rather than San Sebastian?
My colleague was stuck down near Marbella and in fact I did initially suggest San Sebastion as a pick up location to him ! However, there is a fast new train service up the east coast to Barcelona (6 hrs) so that looked much easier than him trying to get to the north west.

As far as flying to Barcelona is concerned via the west of the Pyrenees rather than east, I don't think there is much in it. Also I had to pack in all the flight planning within an hour on Saturday night as the whole rescue idea came up at short notice . . . . so I'm not suggesting this was definitely the best route. However, I already had Bergerac flight planned and in the Garmin as I've done that journey a couple of times (direct from Deauville to Le Mans and then straight over Poitiers where they are always very helpful even though the airspace looks congested on the map). Whether in or outside CAS the French air traffic were great all the way - no complaints (although none was class A). Flying VFR in France is a wonderful experience (unlike Belgium where I won't be heading back anytime soon . . . . but that's another story!)

Drambuster.