PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Volcano costing EK "Significant Money". There goes any pay rise...
Old 20th Apr 2010, 11:28
woodja51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ash clouds

Dudes - as I said not entirely sure about the intensity and level of the ash clouds but from what I got off various sites was that they ash was mainly in the 20 - 30k levels. And then descended somewhere over northern UK.

My point - and sorry if that annoyed some folks out there - is that there are always alternatives but many modern brains seem locked inside boxes.

I note on other sites that some airlines are doing their own tests etc to gauge the ash cloud - and looking at VFR flights to get around it... not sure if that will work but hey - human inventiveness is pretty good sometimes....

What I was trying to indicate was that there might be a way out of the UK /EU airspace below the cloud PERHAPs that was not looked at...maybe?? like go out low and tech stop once outside the cloud and then continue.

I see QF have now stopped all their flights to UK until Friday now... they could have got them at least as far as Athens, Istanbul, Moscow etc etc but I dont run an airline so maybe too hard... easier to blame volcanoes..

as all airlines affected then maybe the logic is that this will push some of the weaker ones ( maybe BA ?? ) over the edge and allow them to clean up after the cloud passes...?? just a thought..

Clever, or not a pilot comment.....??

- sorry gotta BSc, almost an MBA and 35 years in aviation with 13 000 hours on both B777 and A340s - so in the industry .... but agree I have never hit a volcano and dont want to....

Of course the same rocket scientists that built the wonderful and successful mac book for example - managed to screw that up - ever tried to put a printer and a 3G wireless unit into the two co - located USB ports.... ??

So what's my point .... folks dont know what they dont know....until someone tells them....sorry if I ticked any one off not personal comments!

WJA