PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2010, 07:37
septerra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey

I just couldn’t stand staying without doing something in regards to my application and decided to go and see where my eyes were at. I do wear glasses but I did not have my prescription nor do I have an idea of what power my eyes have. So, I just got back from an eye examination and was told that I have a unaided 6/12 in one eye and 6/7.5 or something in the other, and aided was 6/6 in both eyes. I also forgot to actually ask what my eye power was. I was chatting away about my Pilot application and asked him how bad it was and he was able to get out his handbook and verify some figures and said that 6/12 unaided might just be enough but they may just knock you out because its a very competitive environment. He also mentioned that the book was about seven years old and probably not a good guide.

I am just wondering if anyone can let me know if this is going to get me through to at least FSP without surgery or other medical procedures? I am guessing 6/12 unaided should not require LASEK? Just wondering if the barrier is the actual eye power or the very fact that one needs to wear spectacles or contacts for perfect vision no matter how small the corrective effect is?

I couldn’t help but keep smiling like an idiot at everyone on my walk back home, considering what the doc said on me having a possibility of just scraping through.

Cheers guys! I have been reading little chunks of this thread whenever I can and its got some invaluable advice and information. Thank you to all contributors in this thread.