PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'No blame' Over RAF Tornado Crash
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2010, 18:46
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
F3WMB:
I think the responsibility for Nige & Kenny (RIP) has to lie with the Senior RAF types who accepted the loss of hours.
Amen to that Fox3, but responsibility is a very eroded concept these days. "Senior RAF types" had the responsibility for adhering to the UK Military Airworthiness Regulations and yet issued a Release to Service to a type so grossly unairworthy that Boscombe Down grounded theirs and begged the RAF to do the same. It didn't, with fatal results. Despite a current SIB investigation into airworthiness enforcement irregularities, I'm not holding my breath waiting for such "Senior RAF types" to assist them with their enquiries let alone face charges. All are equal under Military Law in the RAF, but "Senior RAF types" are more equal than others it seems. Meanwhile other squadron commanders operating other types face similar cutbacks to the minimum monthly training allocations and have to try anything and everything to keep their guys current. Responsibility just stops with them these days it would seem.