PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is the best FTO at Shoreham airport?
Old 19th Apr 2010, 16:51
imperialsam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You definitely should go and have a look at Goodwood before you make any decision.

The fleet is more modern than you will probably find elsewhere - five literally brand new Cessna 172s, equipped with G1000 glass cockpit etc. All are less than 6 months old.

The buildings might look a little tired from the outside but are well equipped with briefing rooms, PCs/internet access etc. The cafe is very good, and there is a private clubroom to eat/relax in when it gets busy.

Regarding the 90 year-old fogies comment - this couldn't be further from the truth! There's a pretty broad mix of all ages and they're a very friendly bunch of people.

Regarding your question on ATC, Goodwood has an AFIS service during opening hours. This technically isn't the same as ATC, as you might be aware, but if you are asking whether it has someone to talk to on the radio then the answer is yes.

As mentioned by previous posters, it can get waterlogged during winter, but this has never really been a major problem to me, and the disadvantage it causes is compensated for by the advantage of having three runways on windy days (although the same is true of Shoreham).

For clarity, I'm not connected with Goodwood, other than being a club member and driving 130 miles between my it and my home and back most weekends, mainly because I haven't yet found anywhere to fly that I like more!