PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ash clouds threaten air traffic
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2010, 16:50
silverstrata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caud:

Ground testing of engines with ash contaminants needs to be done, followed by air testing. I am not willing to be flying into unknown risk with or without passengers in a scenario that is going to affect all my engines, and I'm horrified at the arrogance and cavalier attitude of those who think this is all nothing and that we should get back in the air without proper scientific and engineering analysis.

That is not what we were calling for - but it may well happen due to the idiocy of those in power.

What we were calling for was daily test flights, even with knackered old Nimrods running on two engines (two at idle), to test the conditions out fully. With two airframes we could have collected 48 hours of running experience by now, in the thin and thick parts of the ash.

But no.

The 'rabbit in the headlights' powers that be were so scared of their own shadows, they would not allow anything to fly. Now, however, they cave in to pressure from big business and say - "ok, you can all fly".

So they have done the very worst thing - not do the testing, as we were calling for, and then fly anyway.

Lions led by donkeys.