PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plain Stupid or Criminally Negligent?
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2010, 14:46
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 439 Likes on 232 Posts
The problem I have with posts like this is that it seems that by filing a NOTAM, than some people think that actually establishes protected airspace. Unless it is an RA(T) then the airspace remains class G and ALL pilots, including though involved in aero's are allowed acces and are required to see and avoid and comply with the rules of the air. There is no requirement to contact anyone, and being VFR *visual* flight rules *ensure* separation. So as far as I can see, no rules have actually been broken and no action could be taken.

I concur. Many folk think they "claim" an airspace reservation by the filing of a NOTAM. They do not. In Class G the normal rules of the air apply. Perhaps Breighton is an inappropriate venue for such an activity?

I had a telephone conversation with a man who has a permanent NOTAM in the system. He is a kite flyer. I rang him to ask what he was up to because the published details were scanty and it encompassed a route I sometimes use, near one of our landing sites. He told me that no pilot was allowed to fly through "his" airspace and it would be "obvious" when he was operating because he usually put the hazard warning flashers on his 4x4!

"His" airspace was actually bigger than the regional airport's CTR....