PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ash clouds threaten air traffic
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2010, 11:50
Whippersnapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F16 engines are not high bypass turbofans, so don't expect the to behave in a similar way.
Well, thanks for that. Have you considered that the core of the high bypass ratio engine works identically to the core of a low bypass ratio, turbo jet, turbo shaft or turbo prop engine, with similar materials and temperatures?

An there was Helldog demanding the RAF fly Tornados into the ash deliberately to collect data. Have you any idea of the futility of that and of how overstretched and under-resourced the armed forces are?

Ground testing of engines with ash contaminants needs to be done, followed by air testing. I am not willing to be flying into unknown risk with or without passengers in a scenario that is going to affect all my engines, and I'm horrified at the arrogance and cavalier attitude of those who think this is all nothing and that we should get back in the air without proper scientific and engineering analysis. You bang on about your professionalism while showing anything but that, meanwhile you refuse to listen to experts in vulcanology, meteorolgy and engineering and refuse to believe the evidence of the several military aircaft affected in lod density ash areas.