PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sea Harrier photos from Falklands War - my dad? (E-J)
Old 19th Apr 2010, 11:06
jualbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anna, there are references to your dadīs participation in the war in many magazines.
Basically I have references to 3 missions flown by him on 1st may. One is discribed here:
Falkland Islands - A history of the 1982 conflict
The first mission:
"While the bombardment was going on there was the first reaction from the Argentine air defences resulting in few skirmishes between British and Argentine aircraft, but nothing was reported as hit on either side. Firstly, Flt Lt Paul Barton and Lt Commander John Eyton-Jones flying Sea Harriers of 801 Squadron were vectored onto three widely spaced pairs of aircraft approaching from the west at high level by HMS Invincible. Two more Sea Harriers were closing on the first pair but Barton and Eyton-Jones were initially alone in a potential 2 v 6 combat. The Sea Harriers were at 15,000 ft (4,570 m) and the lead pair of Mirage IIIEAs were at 34,450 ft (10,500 m), each remaining in the best performance envelope for their type. A purely defensive duel evolved, each side looking to draw the other into an area where they would have the advantage, until the Argentine fighters were forced to withdraw due to fuel constraints. The Sea Harriers returned to the carrier to refuel and await another opportunity. Several more probing encouters occured over the next few hours as the Argentine fighters sought a weakness in the British defences and searched for the ships of the Task Force."

I have no info about the two other sorties.
Regards