PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - £100,000 plus UK jobs
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2010, 10:18
OPEN DES

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear cptdivz,

Well done on your reasoning. If only more people thought like this we wouldn't have this pay2fly crap and people willing to work for less and less.
The root of the problem in flying is that we (aspiring) pilots are our own worst enemy.
Ofcourse flying is the best job in the world and a lifetime commitment. But at the end of the day it's a JOB and a lifestyle needs to be paid for. There should not be the need to accept unworthy conditions just because you like the job that much.
I don't think you're getting in for the money, even IF many airline jobs were paying 100k+ there are far easier and secure ways to start making that kind of money in other careers.
I can fully understand that you're making a very conscious decision on a once-in-lifetime investment, naturally you'd like to assess your return on investment as well as a future lifestyle (read: money) commensurate with your qualifications and professionalism.
So in short: do not enter this career if you want to make big money. But please do enter if this has been your lifelong dream.

I am 26 now and have made over 100k euro in 2009 as an SFO in Europe. Taxwise a lot more favourable than the UK as well. PLUS some income from other flying related activities outside of the airline. I've got friends my age making 3-4 times this money doing entirely different things in life on which I could easily join in. I love my job however and feel that I am worthily compensated.

Regards

PS: not caring about what you make the first 10 years is something really stupid. It should be top priority once inside of the profession so that you can get rid of your trainingloans ASAP.