PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plain Stupid or Criminally Negligent?
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2010, 09:42
Rod1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
“A quick look in the VFR flight guide will tell you that there is FREQUENT aerobatic activity at Breighton. Notam or no Notam. NO EXCUSE.”

That is true. However the last time I flew from the midlands to Wick did I look up every unlicensed strip I was flying near in a flight guide, no. Do I know anyone who does, no. Did I call up every unlicensed strip on the radio, no, it would be impractical to do so.

"I would want a risk assessment "

I know what you are saying, but that is the only way you are going to cover your rear end in this wonderful world.

Please understand I am not defending the flying of the three, I have no idea if the Notam line was used or not, but;

There was no restricted or controlled airspace around the event. There was a note to airman that you might choose to read which would tell you to be extra vigilant as there may be aerobatics taking place. I would like to see all such events protected by an RA(T), but this is not the case.

There was no reasonable expectation that an over flying aircraft would call up an unlicensed strip in the vicinity.

The Organisers would have been fully aware of this, and that an aerobatic event is a threat to other airspace users in class G airspace. Having taken part in such an event in the past the standard of organisation is good and the safety record first class.

The original post asked if the pilots were Criminally Negligent. Obviously we cannot know if the pilots were, but I have attempted to put the question in context. If you do not like the system, join a representative body like the LAA/AOPA and work to improve it.

Rod1