PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Airspace closure
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2010, 08:54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May be a small window of opportunity on Wednesday....however, when a couple of dozen tried to make it across the pond a few days ago, none made it ......either turning back or changing destination as the corridor disappeared.
In some quarters this is being treated like a big joke [Saturday].....as I looked at my tube with empty airways I could see hundreds of VFR aircraft at various levels throughout the UK.....the regular para-drop sites were all active and I saw many climbs up to 13/14000feet. Exec jets and turboprops [not a lot] were evident outside regulated airspace......Sunday was a little tighter regulation-wise....e.g. restrictions applied to SVFR and para-drop controlled airspace penetration.
Despite reports of ash layers at lower levels there were quite a few aircraft actually flying for sustained periods at mid unpressurised levels.
Government finally taking notice......Aviation Minister has been invisible throughout.....CAA remarkably silent....leaving it to NATS [merely an ATS provider] to do the leg work.
I feel gutted for the airlines....genuinely.....never known anything like it in my controlling lifetime.
IF!!!!! the window occurs at night.....put pressure on to lift the night curfew....the last thing you guys/gals need is to fly round in a stack which could be ash contaminated, and over densely populated areas.