PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS rears its head again
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2010, 08:08
Capn Bloggs

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Sled,
In particular, the NAS 2b incident north of Brisbane, have a very close look at the actions of the RPT crew, and I mean a very close look, and ask yourself, if you are, in fact, an RPT pilot: Would that have been your response to a TA followed by an RA, or would you, perhaps, have done something different, and perhaps avoided the RA.
Red herring. The fact is that these two aircraft came as close as they did because of the airspace that you and Dick claim has a vanishingly small chance of a MAC. That claim is obviously rubbish, or are you going to trot out the "well, they missed, didn't they?".

And yes, I have read both ATSB reports and I see no problem with the behaviour of the RPT crews. All I see is that these two incidents demonstrate the fundamental failings of E airspace. Take the blinkers off and get out from behind your risk analysis spreadsheet.

Once again, it is revealing of Australian attitudes that the implicit assumption is that the "professional" will always behave in an appropriate manner, and in the case of the dreaded VFR "Terry Towling Brigade Bug Smasher", it will always be that pilot who is the collision risk threat. That it is always "the other pilot" who is the threat.

However, the record doesn't support such a proposition, see the various reports available, Ambidjii being only the latest. Indeed, the "might is right" attitude is not limited to "professional" v. "private", we have several very interesting incidents where pilots of larger turbo-props have attempted to assume priority over smaller turbo-props -----
Please stop peddling this nonsense. 1/I have a healthy regard for my inability to constantly be looking out the window from FL245 down (why do we have E above FL200 when CARs prohibit it? ) to the top of the zone and 2/I am very aware of the inability of a VFR pilot to see and avoid an aircraft such as mine, especially when I am rapidly closing on him from behind his wingline. Unalerted See and Avoid DOES NOT WORK.

As to VFR doing the right thing, the ONLY reason you guys want E is so you don't have to participate; I am therefore not holding my breath for VFR to hop onto the ATC freq announcing where he is or whether he will be a confliction to me (as he is required to currently do in G above 5000ft).