PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS rears its head again
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2010, 07:26
Howabout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lead of the Sled,

I get it now. At the subsequent class action, the relatives of the deceased will be told that:

Once you have achieved a 5E-9 probability of collision, no additional resources/higher class of airspace is going to make the slightest difference to the likelihood of a collision.
The lawyer(s) - read stacks - for the plaintiffs will ask a relatively simple question:

"So Mr Lead, you achieved 5E-9, 'whatever that means M'Lud' (as a well directed aside to the jury), yet we had a fatal mid-air collision.

"Would you mind explaining how this came to pass when my information, from current and competent air traffic controllers and pilots (I'd like to enter these affidavits for the record M'Lud), suggest such a tragedy could have been avoided with Class C airspace. Class C airspace at no, or minimal, extra cost, would have guaranteed separation between this aircraft and the light aircraft that collided with it. Wouldn't it have Mt Lead? Wouldn't it have?"

"Not necessarily; you see 5E-9 is a theoretical metric beyond which.."

"Excuse me, you are telling me that this is theoretical, that you actually based your decision on theory, that people died because of theory?

"But, but, we achieved 5E-9"

Etc, etc.

Lead, it just wont wash when it's revealed that passenger carrying RPTs are playing dodgems with unknown VFRs. Any proponent that signs off will be toast in the event of a (God forbid) mid-air that was avoidable.

But I suppose you are safe because your signature won't be on the paperwork.

You might label us troglodytes, but self -interest (as alluded to) doesn't come into it. We are genuinely sh*t-scared that people are being put at unnecessary and, avoidable, risk.

Last edited by Howabout; 19th Apr 2010 at 08:17.