PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question about Oil Filter Caution lights in GA aircraft
Old 19th Apr 2010, 01:07
Nikai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about Oil Filter Caution lights in GA aircraft

Just wondering whether anyone can tell me a little bit about the function of an 'Oil Filter Caution light' in general aviation aircraft such as a C206.

The flight manual suggests that the light will come on when the filter bypass valve opens but doesn't go into anymore detail than this and unfortunately I don't have access to a copy of the maintenance manual.

I've been told that the light is activated due to pressure differential, and what I am curious about is how critical this type of warning is, whether there is a period where it may still be safe to fly (ie. get it checked within 'X' hours, or whether its a matter of don't fly it until its checked)

I was advised by the engineer who usually looks after the aircraft that the plane wasn't unsafe (via telephone - engineer hadn't seen it since the last check), however another engineer (who I know has significant experience with these engines) mentioned that these warning lights don't often illuminate and if it has it could be a sign of impending trouble and that it should be checked before flying.

I know the other possibility is an electrics fault - and I'm sure this will be checked first - however I am curious how an engineer would recommend a pilot deal with an 'oil filter light' warning.

Background:
  • Temps & pressures were normal but the engine was only run for a short period of time.
  • Apparently the light had flickered a few weeks ago but had come on solidly within the last couple of weeks (only flies a few hours a week)
  • Engine was overhauled a year ago & is still being run on straight oil
Look forward to any feedback!