PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ash clouds threaten air traffic
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2010, 23:29
paidworker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"A spokesman for KLM said: 'We have not found anything unusual and no irregularities, which indicates the atmosphere is clean and safe to fly.' " That seems very broad.

I spoke to a Parachute Pilot in Ireland today who said that whilst they flew there was a visible layer of ash and also a strong sulphur smell in the air. Its a small operation and they were able to file VFR as it was truely VFR conditions. He said you could see nothing from the ground but once you got up to 9000ft it was very obvious as was the smell. The skydivers reported being able to smell and feel it in freefall.

Im wondering what happens if only a handful of airspaces open up , does it
signifigantly alter the picture. The cost to us in business terms is terrible and soon our own company has no choice but to lay people off as already things were so tight with the non volcano recession.

The logic in the points being made is that Tin may not start falling out of the sky if it encounters ash straight away and this seems plausible but I have a very bad feeling for the economy and aviation sector if for example flights stop and start based on local conditions and wear becomes a factor. I suspect that when flights start a lot more inspection procedures will become the norm increasing costs to pacify a public who have been led to believe that aviation is very dangerous so long as there is " ash " in the air. It is kind of obvious too as there is " dithering " over what is a safe level.

I suspect also a large problem now will be a legal one with insurance companies looking to cover there rear , engine manufacturers looking to cover their rears etc. I hope I am wrong but suspect and fear this is going to get messy with nobody wanting to take responsibility for saying it is " safe ". Meanwhile the non commercial tests being conducted by G- CALM continue to point out that they do not feel its safe.

Somebody posted Continental had suspended all Northern European flights until the end of the month, I cant find that anywhere on their website.

Last edited by paidworker; 19th Apr 2010 at 01:22.