PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NW A320 tailstrike at DEN, possible W/O?
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2010, 22:24
CONF iture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tildeleb
Should they have moved the throttles from CLB before they touched down? The FMS told them to. If they had moved the throttles to IDLE would everything have been OK?
Of course the RETARD auto call-out is a reminder rather than an order, but if thrust levers were retarded a fraction before initial touchdown, ground spoilers deploy in time and rebound is minimized.
Actually, by the logic of the automatism, they used the worst possible timing for retarding the thrust levers as this action was the trigger for the ground spoilers to deploy but the airplane was already back in the air for this consequent bounce.

Originally Posted by the short report
Radio altimeter values increased, indicating the aircraft then bounced. The FO held 16 degrees aft stick input (approximately full aft travel), and moved the thrust levers to idle during the bounce. Ground spoilers deployed (thrust lever position and wheel spin up logic was satisfied)
Here is another point I want to make ... one more time :
Pilot Flying is full back stick but Pilot Monitoring has no information on this unusual fact. Having coupled side sticks or conventional control columns, the PM would have known how hopeless was the situation and a perfect warning signal for him to take over for nothing less than a go-around which, by the way, is the manufacturer recommended procedure in case of high bounce.

This is my reminder to all FBW Airbus pilots, myself included :
Be aware how your independent sidesticks may deprive you from a valuable source of information