PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ash clouds threaten air traffic
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2010, 21:18
Desk-pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heaviest deposits yet on my car

I have to say as a pilot I am becoming concerned at the antics of some of the airlines with respect to the current ash crisis. My car has a very abrasive feeling grey powder coating it now in West Sussex. The powder is quite unlike anything else and by far the heaviest deposits have happened in the past 24 hours.

It may not be terribly scientific but My perception is that the situation is worse not better and having grounded the flights I feel that bowing to commercial pressures now would be extremely risky.

Fine abrasive powder sandblasting my engines at 500mph aint a pretty thought and I for one don't want to be up there in this.

Interesting that MOL - the man I would have most expected to be pressing for a flight restart has taken a good decision in delaying until Wed at the earliest - not what I would have expected but credit where it's due.

The airlines will weather the storm of a week or two of suspended flying. As aviators safety must remain our overriding priority, we owe it to ourselves, our families and our passengers.

Desk-pilot