PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ash clouds threaten air traffic
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2010, 20:02
falco01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SMS at EU level

I don't wanna sound too "smart", but this whole thing is like out of the ICAO SMS manual.
Risk - volcanic eruption/ ever present ash (yet it's an unknown due to no info on concentration)
Consequence - worst case scenario (think logically for yourself what might happen to the a/c, not necessary a burning hole in the ground)
can we eliminate the risk - no!
can we stop our operations - nope (too much on the table, I'm speaking about states' economies and politics, not only the aviation industry)
So - know the risks (analyze them), plan for and implement risk mitigation.activities.
So what will be the EU risk mitigation activities? Should we expect a harmonized approach? When in reality states' economies to some extent are dependent on their own aviation industry? I doubt it.

With all respect to the EU regulatory bodies and their desperate attempts to come up with performance scheme and targets for the whole EU aviation industry (sounds insane to me).....and many other initiatives. to unite (towards monopolies, lets be frank about it)..., this is such a slap into face when unable to come up with alternative solutions and sound scientific analysis in a timely manner for known global aviation phenomena as volcanic ash.. Or may be my expectations are too high?