PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Approach chart minimun altitud interpretation
Old 18th Apr 2010, 13:36
aterpster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tinerrr:

I have doubts about how to interpretate this chart properly.
The question in simple. If we are cleared for the aproach and shoot it from TUM VOR. We will proceed outbound R- 186 and the question is: Should we maintain 2200`until stablished on the localizer? or, May we descend to 1700' even during the procedure turn and not stablized on the localizer yet?

I didnīt find the jeppesen chart on internet to be able to post it here. Thereīs a note on the current jeppesen chart on the 2200' altitude that says "recommended". I understand than if the altitud is recommended is not a mandatory minimum altitude, am I wrong?

Would this note change your answers?
I found the USAF chart here:

http://www.costaricaaviation.com/cha...ILS_RWY_3R.PDF

The minimum altitude for the teardrop is 2,200 (starting at not less than 3,100 at AT LMM or TUM VOR if AT is inop). 1,700 does not apply until established on the localizer inbound. The turn inbound on the teardrop should be commenced so as to not exceed 11 I-NAT DME. The TBG 8 DME is the stepdown fix (2200 to 1700) for the straight-in initial approach segment from TBG VOR.

The precision FAF is at 1700 at LAMBI, which is the 5 I-NAT DME (or radar fix).

This is a standard teardrop procedure turn portrayal. The underscored 2200 is a minimum alitude for the maneuver. The underscored 1700 is the minimum altitude on the localizer until G/S intercept.

I can't image Jeppesen having a recommended altitude for these circumstances.