PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ash clouds threaten air traffic
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2010, 12:01
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
moll
Channel Island airspace
Replying to #906 ( "Worth just noting this morning ...it is possible to fly between the islands in the Channel Islands where both Aurigny & Blue Islands are continuing to operate their schedules" ) , there is a mad twist to this story - there now is no way in or out of CI Zone for VFR GA flghts. On Thursday it was closed (no IFR or SVFR), but on Friday common sense was applied and a VFR lane class D for VFR created by NOTAM to 50North. I flew to London intending to return today but now some jobsworth has decided that they didnt have the power to change airspace after all so now no VFR movements in or out of the whole CI zone, while GA and commercial flights continue within the zone. This is just complete madness with regulations and ar** covering taking precedence over any real analysis of safety issues.
I am on this forum as a way of making my own assessment of risk to piston engines at low level and I make my own decision whether safe to fly as I have to with every flight.
What is lacking is proper information on 1) what are the particle concentrations grams/m3 at different levels. 2) what is a safe concentration for jet engines and for piston engines. The information may be poor but it needs the best scientists in the field to come up with best estimates. If it is left to regulators just applying a 'precautionary principle then we may not fly for months.
moluscan, proof that the lunatics are running the asylum!

There is a difference between doing "things right" and doing "the right thing". Former is management, latter is leadership.

I cannot understand why Special VFR has been stopped in CTRs - or are they trying to stop operators departing/arriving these airports visually during the ban?

Get real - can anyone please tell me why a spamcan cannot be given a SVFR through these CTRs on a lovely day like today.

At a political level, we desparately need a peaceful revolution.