PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2002, 19:05
The Mistress

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This arrived today, forwarded by David Cameron, MP for Witney (covers Brize Norton).

Dear David

Thank you for your letter of 3 July to Geoff Hoon on behalf of your constituents, who have sent e-mails about the Chinook accident on the Mull of Kintyre in June 1994. I am replying as this falls within my area of responsibility as Minister of State for the Armed Forces.

Your constituents refer to Early Day Motion 829, which was initially lodged by six members on 7 February, very shortly after the House of Lords Select Committee Report on Chinook ZD576 was published. The motion notes the conclusion of the Report (that the "Air Marshals" (the reviewing officers of the RAF Board of Inquiry into the accident) were not justified in finding that negligence on the part of the pilots caused this crash), and calls on the Government to quash the finding.

The Select Committee Report is very detailed, and a number of the opinions expressed in it required further work to be undertaken, particularly with regard to the original flight modelling conducted by Boeing, the aircraft manufacturer. Invevitably such work takes time, but it is important that the best possible advice is obtained to inform our full and detailed response to the House of Lords.

You may be aware that Lord Bach, Minister for Defence Procurement, has recently reaffirmed that the Government intends to respond to the Report before the Summer Recess, and that a statement will be made to both Houses of Parliament. (Official Report 19 June 2002, Column 837). I hope that you will agree that it would be inappropriate for me to comment further until our formal response to the Report is to hand.

Yours Aye

The Rt. Hon Adam Ingram JP MP