PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ash clouds threaten air traffic
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2010, 11:14
justawanab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cubbie wrote:

Perhaps you arent aware there are proceedures for encountering volcanic ash, there are proceedures for an engine failure, for blown tires on take off, a whole manner of dangerous events which can occur everyday.
Yes I'm fully aware of that and it's great comfort to me when I fly.
I too have procedures for when I encounter extreme weather situations while I'm driving my car, but I won't venture out in the middle of a cyclone.

As SLF I would hope that my well trained flight crew would similarly prefer to avoid putting me and my fellow passengers into a potentially dangerous situation rather than just take the chance that their procedures will be sufficient to handle any problems later.

I accept that you have procedures for handling engine failures that may result from the ingestion of volcanic ash however given the often severe effects of gravity on unpowered aircraft, surely it's more prudent to avoid the possibility of that happening in the first place.

I'd also venture to suggest that, given the gung-ho, fly at all cost, attitude demonstrated by yourself and a few other people on here it's probably a good thing that they haven't been the ones who get to decide.