PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ash clouds threaten air traffic
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2010, 11:13
Tinytim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems to me that whilst all pronouncements from NATS and government are in terms calculated to not cause panic with an expectation of an early resolution the fact is that no one has a clue how long this will go on for. It seems to me as likely that the matter will resolve in days as it will in weeks..based on the various articles in todays press from Vulcanologists.

An already weakened industry is being crucified and reserves depleted.So the question I have is how long will this go on before drastic action has to be taken to preserve the airlines?......and who will be the first casualties? No business can survive without revenue.

Our society is so dependant on this industry as a whole that whilst the green lobby might welcome an armageddon scenario that sees the demise of the carriers as we know them today the fact is that it is unthinkable that government should not take steps to preserve it...just in the same way they did to preserve the banks...

If I was Willie Walsh I would be having some serious "what if" conversations with government as BA must surely be amongst the least well placed if this continues. Ironically based on disclosed cash reserves our favourite Irish carrier is probably in a better position than any.....

These are indeed worrying times.