PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'A Chopper is Born' on TV
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2002, 18:55
SteveR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was a bit disappointed by these shows. 'A plane is born' had the ideal format, with a big chunk of flying lessons sandwiched between the building bits, but this show missed several tricks.

I've *flown* a helicopter (for a whole 5 mnutes), and looked at many of them close up, but I still only ocasionally understand the mechanical processes of how the rotor head actually works. Surely a properly made programme would've somehow explained this, even to me?

Also, I lost track of how the engine connects to the main shaft - there was a ginormous chain, with some sprockets - and a belt and pulley system as well?

It did a good job of demonstrating how a sprag clutch works tho' - it's just a pity the same depth wasn't exhibited on the rotor head, and engine install.

I liked the continual references back to the factory to show the manufacture of the components.

The flying lessons bits were, frankly, pointless.

The 'plane' programmes (ooh it grates to type that, sorry stik) presented the PPL course very well I thought - I'd recommend the series to a prospective student for that strand alone, but after watching the first few programmes I have no idea at all as to how Mark was finding the course, or even what it entails.

Steve R