PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ash clouds threaten air traffic
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2010, 10:00
anotherthing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airline finances... The engineering cost implications of resumption of flying...

TRC makes a point in post 892 that I mentioned earlier and that a lot of people seem to fail to grasp.

Well before the eruptions, airlines were doing everything in their power to reduce the cost index of flights and routes - some by taking what would be deemed to be extreme measures to reduce weight and cost (changing size of in flight magazines, changing uniforms to lighter material, taking away little freebies such as the little bags of nuts they used to hand out free with drinks etc).

Some of these measures may seem extreme, of little consequence and maybe even ridiculous, but multiplied over many sectors, it was felt by the 'bean counters' that it would make a significant difference.

BA and many other carriers are taking the steps to cancel well in advance of (in the UK) any announcement by NATS. This is being done partly because logistically it makes sense, however they also must feel that it is justified.

I for one do not believe that aircraft are going to fall out of the sky in vast numbers, however I believe that there will be damage done to engines and airframes etc which will be amplified over many flight hours.

So I suppose my question is to you, the pilots who want to go flying in multi million pound (or dollar) aircraft (that you do not have to pay to maintain, fix or replace) - do you think it is wise for airlnes to fly bearing in mind that any profits they make may well be wiped out and indeed may end up costing them more through the cost of replacing parts etc - some of which may be major?

Airlines will need to weigh up the possibility that engine life may be dramatically reduced etc. We are not talking about mass hysteria, aircraft falling out of the sky, but purely flight economics?

Research into acceptable levels of ash concentration for flight have not been extensively researched because there has not been the need nor the opportunity before - most eruptions and consequent ash clouds have affected areas with very little air traffic - cetainly not the density found over western Europe.

I'm sure over the coming days when more data is gathered there will be a relaxation when more understanding is gained, but until such time, from a safety and financial point of view, it is probably prudent for the ban to continue.