PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Chipmunks
Thread: RAF Chipmunks
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2010, 09:12
CoffmanStarter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for replying

Hi Manandboy ...

I'm very interested to hear that 1 AEF closed 31/03/96 and not 31/03/95, especially as you were flying on the last day, as two separate sources in my research to date indicate 95 as the year of closure ... including a reference to when the Flight reformed at RAF St Athan (parented by UWAS) 01/04/95 flying Grob Tutors.

Many thanks ...

Hi DrumMachine, deltahotel ...

Great to hear from you both. I met S/L Pete Stonham just the once, a really nice guy, however I'm from the S/L John Shelton, S/L Paddy Brown era. You might like to have a look at the initial page I authored on Wikipedia to bring back a few more memories.

1 Air Experience Flight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Many thanks ...

Hi Flying Lawyer ...

Thanks for the background information and pictures of WK 518. If my memory serves me correctly WK 518 was fitted with a single Bendix 360 Channel (dial up) VHF radio while, at the time, all our other aircraft were equipped with a single 12 Channel (fixed) VHF radio. When Chipmunk servicing moved to RAF Shawbury in the late 70's things became a bit tricky transit wise requiring the older VHF radios to be re-crystallised with a few NATO "common" frequencies which worked reasonably well but it wasn't an ideal solution, so every opportunity was taken to transit as a two ship formation with WK 518 as lead aircraft with the more flexible radio.

I wish we had the smart High Viz Black livery that WK 518 sports today with the BBMF !

Many thanks ...

Hi spannersatKL ...

A "Northern Grass" colleague ! Great to hear from you. I remember Don Ding very well ... I think he also flew Avro Anson's. So you'll remember Bill Williams, Bob Thompson et al ?

Many thanks ...

Best all ...

Coff.

Last edited by CoffmanStarter; 18th Apr 2010 at 10:12.