PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calling all experienced pilots...we need help!!
Old 18th Apr 2010, 08:53
SloppyJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am afraid to say that most people look out for themselves and so if something does not affect them directly, even though they may think it is outrageous, not much will get done.

Why would a guy who has a contract with a company and has ok conditions care that some idiot is being exploited, why try to help them in improving their conditions? If it starts trickling upwards and conditions begin to get eroded for those who joined on good t&c's I am sure people will start making some noise.

It is happening everywhere to some extent not just the low cost carriers but almost exclusively to new hires who decide to sign for crap. It is up to the individual to decide to sign or not, I have never paid for any training after the basic stuff almost everyone has too, I never accepted crap conditions although I have signed a contract far inferior to what a lot of the senior guys in the airline I work for are on. It was my choice and it is still a good deal as far as I am concerned and have no right to complain that I get less than others as I get exactly what I agreed too. There are rumors that some conditions may start to get eroded and the contract I signed is no longer being offered but there are 10,000's trying to get in on the new one. No one really cares that these guys get a far reduced contract, yes we think it is a shame but nothing is being done as it does not affect us (yet). If it does start to make the company try to reduce our benefits (mainly housing) I am sure things will escalate and our union will attempt to maintain what we signed up for. I know it seems selfish but this is the reality of it. As long as what people signed up for does not get changed no one will do much about it.

It is supply and demand, that simple. If it picks up again things will change. But it is up to the new guy looking at that contract to change things not us already employed. If demand increases new guys will not sign for crap as there will be something else, only then will this change as people will have options and not sign for thees deals.

I wish it were different and people looked out for one another more and if new contracts were offered at reduced terms the already employed pilots would stand firm and stop it. Unfortunately this is not the way of the world.