PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NW A320 tailstrike at DEN, possible W/O?
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2010, 01:19
CONF iture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris Scott,
You are correct, it is not clear cut, there are some conflicting information : Flaps 3 ? Flaps full ?

IGh,
Would you have a link for the MD80 report at Denver ?
I'm always amused when a pilot reports "I increased thrust" during an un-spooled approach, and then the FDR shows NO CHANGE in thrust.
Is it possible there is something to see with DEN higher altitude which is above 5000 feet ?
It is especially noticeable when taxing out on single engine for these higher altitude airports where the thrust lever displacement in order to initiate the initial forward movement has to be more significant than in Minneapolis for example. The first one inch of thrust lever displacement seems to produce nothing.

On the A/THR side, it is common knowledge that Airbus, for the last 20 years, has been widely encouraging the maximum use of automatism and as a consequence I have noticed some discomfort as well as confusion for a pilot to disconnect the A/THR in the last 200 feet RA if needed to correct a basic situation. It is almost as if it was more simple to just go-around. (which is not bad either)
The following realignment was inevitable :
Pilot handling skills under threat, says Airbus