PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - P2F Cancer of Aviation (merged)/ petitions.
Old 18th Apr 2010, 01:16
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have repeatedly stated that I am anti p2f schemes. The problem is that people like Global Warrior have simply not got their facts straight. I have no problems with people criticising easyJet. The difficulty is that the 'facts', as they are presented, are not really true. Yes, it is true that easyJet have taken some 250 hour pilots before the 5000hr+ pilots out there on the dole. They have done that since their first day of operation through CTC. That is nothing new. Incidentally so have British Airways since their first day of operation too. They have always taken a mix of experience and new blood - nothing has changed.

It is really important that people understand the true situation at easyJet rather than some obsessional rant from someone who has no idea. It is true we have taken new pilots on temporary contracts and paid them a pittance. The p2f schemes Global Warrior wrote about in his letter are yesterday's news - they do not exist any longer. What we have now is a pay for you own type-rating scheme. You may not like that, and nor do I, but that is not p2f in the form being claimed. The next thing to clarify is that easyJet are currently taking on very experienced pilots as temporary FOs through Parc - many of these have a lot of hours and are ex-BMI. Finally it is being suggested that the basic work practice at easyJet is to take on low-houred pilots, sack them just as they unfreeze their ATPLs and then replace them with more low-houred pilots. That is again not true. It is true we are in our third year of offering temporary contracts to CTC FOs and also to pay for type-rating people from Oxford. What is also true, however, is that the first permanent contracts in 3 years are being offered out (about 40 in all I am told) to the first FOs to go on this contract system. The final Ts&Cs have not been issued, but they will not be good - I think the contract starts in November from what I recall. The permanent jobs are being handed out in 'seniority' order - exactly as should be the case. It is not perfect, but is a huge step forward from where we were.

The essence of Global Warrior's letter is that 250 hour pilots are intrinsically unsafe. Were that the case then the same criticism would apply to BA and numerous other companies over the last 30 years as they all employ cadets. His upset is that somehow 5000 hour pilots have more right to a job than 250 hour ones - that is simply not a credible view, even though it has been the effective practice of airlines for many years.

I am not wanting to back easyJet here, as I am profoundly unhappy with what has occurred. However, if you are going to whine about what easyJet has done, at least get the facts straight first.