PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plain Stupid or Criminally Negligent?
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2010, 22:34
FREDAcheck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I completely agree that this was "...stupid, selfish, atrocious airmanship and downright dangerous", possibly criminally stupid. However, I also agree with Rod1 that the NOTAM system doesn't help.

The Notams system is not fit for purpose. I know people say it's got to be this way because of international standards, and if it was good enough for my father and his father before him then it's good enough for you lad, just get on with it...

But the current text system is error prone. Notams are laced with irrelevant chaff about sites where there might be a baloon launch once a year, phone some number that never answers for details, because the organiser is too lazy to submit a notam for specific launch days. And there are lat/long pairs to identify some 21-sided irregular polygon where something is going to happen...

I didn't see the Breighton one (I've not been flying) and it may well have been completely clear and to the point. But until we have a good graphical (map-based) system that weeds out irrelevant information, occasional GA pilots are going to make mistakes, and lazy ones will be put off looking properly. "stupid, selfish, atrocious airmanship and downright dangerous" - yes, of course it is. It's also human nature, I'm afraid.

We need to keep banging on about it, but until we get a decent Notam system, we may also need "...the sharp eyes of the Judging Team on the ground".

Nonetheless, I do agree with what DX Wombat said.