PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plain Stupid or Criminally Negligent?
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2010, 21:31
DX Wombat

Location: The Burrow, N53:48:02 W1:48:57, The Tin Tent - EGBS, EGBO
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Plain Stupid or Criminally Negligent?

I have just spent a very pleasant couple of days at Breighton helping at the BAeA Aerobatics Competition. An event which was, as is customary with all BAeA events - NOTAMed. Lots of aircraft came and went without causing any problems to the competitors as they had obviously all read their NOTAMs, contacted the airfield prior to departure, or by radio when en-route for the current airfield information. There was even a PA28 happily doing circuits without causing any problems. There is however always the exception to the rule and today it came as a threesome. One of the competitors was just about to commence his sequence when one aircraft was spotted flying towards the box followed by two others. Three aircraft all playing Follow-My-Leader. Three mechanical contraptions with wings and engines and apparently brainless pilots all strung out in line astern. Without making a single contact call on the radio (and the airfield was busy not just with our aerobatic aircraft) they flew straight through the centre of the box apparently completely oblivious to what was going on. The pilots had clearly not read their NOTAMs, or, if they had, had decided they didn't apply to them. All three apparently did not possess a radio or chose not to use them as no calls were made by them and nobody seemed to be listening out. I know it is perfectly legal to fly without a radio but if you are going to do so then surely it is prudent to check the NOTAMs first and preferably also call the airfield for any specific instructions? Those pilots are very fortunate that they didn't cause an accident. What they did is, to my mind, criminally stupid, selfish, atrocious airmanship and downright dangerous. If it wasn't for the sharp eyes of the Judging Team on the ground then the outcome could have been very nasty indeed. If any one, or all, of those pilots is reading this I have but two things more to say to you:
1 Send an apology to the pilot and the BAeA - the people there go to great pains to make sure their pilots are safe and cause no problems for others.
2 I have your registrations.