PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft crash in Andover (merged)
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2010, 21:24
Ryan5252

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No - the casual listener will put the 2 items together and assume that ash is a likely cause.

It would have been better not to have mentioned anything, but a sloppy journo would probably have asked a stupid question that led to this answer.
I think it's a bit harsh to determine that the very mention of VA is as a result of some 'sloppy journo'.

I think that the general public would more than likely be of the view that an aircraft which crashed during a period when severe airspace restrictions are in place across much of Europe (and have been the top story of most news bulletins for near two days) must have been as a result of volcanic ash. Most people are going to put the two together and reach the conclusion that the two are related. I actually believe in this case the media are highlighting that it is far too early to determine the cause of the accident and I think it is prudent that people are made aware of this.

That said, it should not detract from the fact that two people lost their lives today in tragic circumstances and my thoughts are them and their families. Very sad indeed.