PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gyroplane PPL
Thread: Gyroplane PPL
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2002, 17:33
Flare Dammit!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whirly wondered:

I've heard of too many gyros coming apart in the air. And it may be due to pilots doing something to precipitate the event...

Ever wonder why? They're rotorcraft, even though most helo pilots think of them as unworthy or contemptible or something. Pilots who make ignorant statements just perpetuate myths - myths that might very well be wrong. How do you like it when people point derisively at the mighty R-22 and go, "Man, I'd NEVER fly in one of those DEATHTRAPS! The rotorblades just FLY OFF those things!"

Yeah, I fly a Robbie; they're factory built. Haven't heard many reports of them coming apart in the air.

Don't read much, do you, luv? I sure have! I'm well aware of the Robbie's "safety" record. You should be too, if indeed you really fly one. I even saw a video of one here in the U.K inflight with rotor blades that looked like rabbit ears. Well...it was a very *short* flight from that point on. It had the trajectory of the Space Shuttle - in reverse.

I could be wrong, it's true. I do know I'm not unique in feeling the way I do. But in any event, do you really need to be so bloody patronising? Does it make you feel good or something?

Me? Patronising? Next, you'll be calling me pretentious. Moi?? Listen sweetie, I am NOT patronizing- that's a particularly low blow. But I'll forgive it this time and if we ever meet in person I'll accept your apology. Meantime, you just go back to flying that awesome Robbo and don't you worry one hair on your pretty little head about it.

Patronising...sheesh! These Robbie pilots really need to learn their place!