PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calling all experienced pilots...we need help!!
Old 17th Apr 2010, 19:09
robmcn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My post was not intended to suggest that an instructors rating was going to bring about a full time job, but given some commitment you would almost certainly be able to gain a day a week somewhere, most flying schools have plenty of trial lessons booked at the weekend. What I was suggesting was a way that you would be able to fly.
The flight instructors rating pays its cost back very quickly if you think about it, assuming you pay say £100 a hour to rent an aircraft in the UK and a flight instructor rating costs around £7000 including 30 hours of flying. So on completion of the rating you only need to do say 40 hours instruction and the rating has cost the same as 70 hours flying, anything after that is a bonus and, as anyone who has ever instructed will tell you, you will be a better pilot, have a whole lot of fun and you will have managed to network a bit more. If you really want to be a pilot, find a way to get flying. You don't have to take my advice you could go to your local flying club and offer your services as a safety pilot or if you want to pay for a TR, then ryanair is about as firm an offer as you are going to get, but things will certainly look a little more positive if you are actually doing what you claim to love so much.