PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ash clouds threaten air traffic
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2010, 18:59
shirayuki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hello,

i'm new to this forum (as you can see) although I have been reading it quite often.

I'm no pilot, no engineer, no meteorologist, no expert. I like planes, I try to understand as much as I can about them, so forgive me if what i'm just about to say is complete nonsense.

This volcano erupted. The ash cloud is moving and incidentally is covering Europe.
My first question is: is it possible that the same concentration of ash found in the sky around the volcano is the same one found near, i don't know, Heathrow airport for example? if yes, does that mean that when someone blows the smoke of a cigarette away, this very smoke has the same concentration always and will never disperse? I apologise in advance if this sounds mad to you, my physics studies stopped quite early.

Second question: I live in the north of Italy and the ban has been applied to our airspace as well. It's been raining for the past two days and here and there i've read that if the wind changes and along comes the rain, everything will be cleared away and no more ash. So, if that's true, why is it that no planes are allowed here? (i live near BGY). Shouldn't the rain have cleared away the ashes? But of course if it's the same concentration found near the volcano, then it makes sense.

And also, if it's true that the ash could spread all over the hemisphere, what's going to happen? haven't other volcanoes erupted in the past years and spread their ash all around? were there other accidents involving planes flying in ash clouds? was the BA the only plane ever to fly through it?

Last question: weather forecast says that there are not going to be any noticeable changes in the wind/pressure meaning that the ash could hover around for days. Isn't it weird that Europe is always subjected to a very tempremental weather and now out of the blue no wind, no rain, no low pressure?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions, but I can't seem to find a satisfying answer anywhere. Thank you.

shirayuki