PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopters and Volcanic Ash?
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2010, 18:11
pasptoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The fact remains that not the whole of the UK has been affected equally. Shetland are suffering a lot more than Southend. Can we not have flexibility in this country?

So far today, I have been told of ash deposit on the ground from Shetland to Cornwall (and a few in between).

As far as flying VFR and "low level". If you need a microscope to see the particulate, then how can you see them flying in VMC ? The ASHTAM depicts the forecast area from SFC - FL100 covering most of the country and getting wider. How many of the aircrew on here are experiencing ASHTAMs for the first time? That is why it is good to debate, but don't just think you are bigger and better than Mother Nature! She will always win.

The meteorological sampling aircraft has found particulate throughout the the lower airspace, as have many of the RAF Met stations around the country. Jets on the ground in Germany with Engines covered in plastic.

Add to all this a few showers around and we have ourselves an nice abrasive paste for our engines to ingest. Then once inside and nice and warm it forms into a nice hard baked on matter ready for Stall/surge/failure as it sees fit! No harm done if you don't pay for spares 'n' repairs!

Several Engine manufacturers have also issued warning notices about avoidance and engineering procedures if encountered.

I think risk assessment of any possible contamination is the best way forward, even if it is 8/8 blue. Does it only affect the IFR and Controlled Airspace? You and I know where it is, but does the ash?

Is it not safer for a couple of days (or weeks) of no flying / precautionary planning rather than a couple of AAIBs with an out come of "We told you so!" ?