PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone find the Lung Funtions difficult?
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2002, 17:05
Thundercat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone find the Lung Funtions difficult?

Bit of a concern here. In fact it is probably my greatest one! At present i have a Class 2 JAA medical and passed it without any pick ups or concerns. Great! However, I think the Class 1 may be a different story altogether. Basically, well before I took my Class 2, I took taken 3 or 4 lung function tests as part of a company medical examination and failed miserably! Those that have done it will know it's a fairly exhausting test anyway because you've got to blow all of your breath into a machine which plots a graph as you exhale over 6 seconds as hard and fast as you can. My lung capacity is fine (in fact 20% above average) but the problem is I can't expel the air fast enough to meet the criteria. The doctor seemed to think it may be narrowed airways.

Not convinced I tried and tried again but the results always came back under the requirement. I couldn't believe that everything else medically was fine except for this big question over my lungs! In the end I decided to go for the Class 2 first, just to see if I could get it (obviously cheaper if I failed!). All they used at the surgery was a Peak Flow Meter and I passed easily with the arrow pointing over 650. I was elated! But then I came back down to earth with a bump realising that the Class 1 wouldn't be so casual.

Can anyone help me here? Do you know how stringent they are at Gatwick with the lung functions, and how advanced their equipment is? Has anyone else been in this boat? If I can find out before splashing out the 400 notes it would be a huge help.