PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calling all experienced pilots...we need help!!
Old 17th Apr 2010, 16:58
Kash360

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Afternoon All,
As another day passes my hopes of securing a job becomes stronger. As a wise man said before “you’re a day closer to getting a job”. I do not wish to criticize our seniors who have pointed out some of their thoughts on the above posts. However it would be wrong of anyone may that be our seniors or for that fact anyone else to mock our courage and or determination by advising us that there are jobs at his/her local Mc Donald’s. I would not mind working in Mc Donald’s as at least it would bring food to the table, but unfortunately my local Mc Donald’s does not have any vacancies. Trust me I have checked!!

Another few points that have been raised are the ones such as “why do you not pay for the Ryanair Type rating?” I would firstly like to thank the poster for raising this question and also taking the time and effort to post on this thread. I have nothing against Ryanair, honestly I don’t. However I do not think that by paying in the region of £25,000-£30,000 and still being on contract with Brookfield’s who has laid out poor working conditions for our peers. And then being thrown out for the next batch, also the fact that if you are thrown out, there are not that many 737-800 operators.

My trip to Africa and touring the UK cost £4300; I still stand firm that if a job offer was given in black and white, I would be prepared to pay the cost of the type rating.

Another point that has been raised is that why do I not go and make contacts instead of sitting here and moaning about the doom and gloom. Believe me I’m not the kind of person to sit on my ass and be negative and say “oh where are all the jobs, I deserve one because I have a licence” NO I’m a person that believes that it is our responsibility to make our industry a better place. If could not find a job at home I travelled to Africa to find one. I would also like to thank Redsnail who has highlighted that I have certainly made some contacts and am trying to on a daily basis, however contacts is not the be all and end all, you must do something yourself. My Peers, I like you am a low hour pilot with no job. But we don’t need to be part of an airline or a group to better our industry; all we need is the passion that we started out with on our career path.

I was speaking on the phone to an experienced pilot yesterday who advised me that the operator he works for has over 300-400 pilots working there and that the only reason they shy away from PPRuNe is because of our negative attitudes on here. We need our experienced pilots now more than ever to help guide us through this storm, not to deter them from this website. So instead of sitting and moaning or even just reading posts and not learning from there then I believe it is a waste of mine and your time.

The poster above mentioned doing an instructor rating, and firstly I would like to thank him for his time and efforts for posting on this thread. However the reason I am not prepared to go down the route of instructors is that I have sort advice on this website by some very influential peers of ours who have advised against it, on the grounds that there is a dramatic drop in student numbers in the past year, based on people unable to borrow money from the banks. But again I would like to thank you for sharing your view with us.

To all who are like me, low hours, no job. Please don’t let yourselves down; we must have our hope, courage and strength to see this journey through. And by helping each other on the way we can be supportive of each other instead of knocking each other into the ground trying to prove that one person is better than the other. We are not better than anybody!!

Kash360.