PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Swiss" makes emergency landing in Germany
Old 17th Jul 2002, 16:38
Midnight Blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I got the wording from EWG FOM 8.1.7.1.1 e) - the definition of final reserve fuel:

"Final reserve fuel must be the fuel to hold for 30min (45min, if planning without destination alternate) at holding speed at 1500 ft above aerodrome elevation in ISA, calculated with the estimated landing weight on arrival at the alternate or the destination, when no alternate is required."

So why take final reserve fuel anyway, if you are not allowed to use it?

We (EWG) are not allowed to land at destination with less the diversion fuel (alternate fuel + final reserve).

So if you need to go to your alternate due to the circumstances, of course it is legal to use you alternate fuel, and if you need to hold at the alternate, of course it is legal to start using your final reserve and land with less.

What are you doing at SWISS, when you get to your alternate with not more than final reserve fuel and need to hold there for 10min?
Eject?
Or hold 10min and turn yourself in to jail for breaking aviation rules after landing?
I think, it might be a misunderstanding, as you read it from your manual.

To avoid all this scenario, I take extrafuel, whenever it deems necessary to me (TS,FG,wind,traffic...)

Grüezi to Switzerland!
I like ZRH very much, have been there yesterday, and I wish the very best for SWISS!!

Midnight Blue