PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afghanistan Civil Helicopter Ops
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2010, 13:18
tribal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If You have a wife you still like and kids...i wouldnt come here.
You will get shot at...and probably more times than you realize. The weather in winter is difficult particularly because of freezing rain and low vis. Weather in summer and this time of year is low vis especially in Kabul and eastern areas. Although this year I cant complain so far. There are many russian crews here...they radio work from them is nothing short of shockingly poor...and flight skill not far behind....you need to watch for them constantly.
The mountainous east and north is as you would expect from any seriously large mountain ranges...so if you would like to come it may be better if you have or gain experience in this arena. there is a lot of high altitude routes.
There is booze, if you are in Kabul....but should you go out at night its a good idea to tag along with your security people.....probably safer to stay indoors...and there are no guarantees of safety there either.
Every month or so a helicopter is brassed up....sometimes with fatal endings sometimes not.
You will get the runs not long after you arrive...thats a given. Kabul has more human waste in the atmosphere than any other city in the world...( Told to me personally by an individual who was sent here to test for air quality)there are open sewers lining roads. there are guns everywhere...and there is regular suicide bombers or car bombs.
Over to you guys...some love the place...you may come here and return home safely and then again you may not.....